Thursday, December 23, 2010

Making a Soul Smile

A few months ago I was sent the picture above by my fellow site partner, Bryan. Everyday, CNN publishes a group of photos and last September I was captivated by this laughing Pakistani man who laughed after receiving a tent for himself and his family after the devastating floods.  His joyous, smiling laugher reminded me of a woman I met my first week on mission, named Denise. 

 

It was my first trip to the city, when I saw her lying on the street – dirt and an oversized t-shirt were the only things covering her naked, weary body. My heart ached when I saw her, what could I do!? She looked cold, perhaps a blanket? But I had no idea where to look for one, and we were walking quickly in the opposite direction. I felt hopeless, I came to Bolivia to help and here I was walking past someone in need – but right then I saw a blanket stand! Clearly, God wanted her to have a blanket too! :) I stopped, had just enough money and grabbed one. Running down streets spilling with people, I found her still lying there and asked, (in broken Spanish) “Do you want?”

 

She smiled. 

 

I covered her in the big beautiful blanket, covering her toes so they’d be nice and warm. I stood back, amazed by her beautiful transformation – as if the very presence of God was in my midst. I noticed the shopkeepers around stopped what they were doing and pointed and smiled too.  I’m so grateful to witness God’s presence daily in Bolivia and see small glimpses of God’s love while I help serve. I pray all are covered in Mary’s mantle, protected, and know that they are loved.  


I learned that, rather than receiving the blanket, Denise's happiness seemed to come from being cared for and receiving basic human affection, such a simple smile.  Because the poor are so numerous here, I'm unable to always give material goods, such as a blanket - but I am always able to give a smile! :D


In the spirit of Christmas, I've included an old favorite of mine:

The Value of a Smile at Christmas 

"It costs nothing, but creates much. 
It enriches those who receive, without impoverishing those who give. 
It happens in a flash and the memory of it sometimes lasts forever. 
None are so rich they can get along without it, and none so poor but are richer for its benefits. 
It creates happiness in the home, fosters good will in a business, and is the countersign of friends. 
It is rest to the weary, daylight to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad, and Nature's best antidote for trouble. 
Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed, or stolen, for it is something that is no earthly good to anybody till it is given away. 
And if the last-minute rush of Christmas buying some of our salespeople should be too tired to give you a smile, may we ask you to leave one of yours? 
For nobody needs a smile so much as those who have none left to give!" 

- Originally an ad from a New York City department store who ran years ago to its customers and later was reprinted in Dale Carnegie's book, How to Win Friends and Influence People

No comments:

Post a Comment