Friday, March 19, 2010

A Wise Ruling! :)

It was yet another beautiful day of classes.  We had just finished praying the “Hail Mary” and passing out their folders, when Laura and I made the usual routine of walking around the classroom – making sure everyone was in their seats and taking away a wide arrange of random objects that they would play with during class.  We were about to start the lesson, when I saw a brand new eraser on the floor…now, most erasers that the kids have are old, rather nasty and I’m pretty sure have been chewed…but this looked brand new and beautiful.  I picked it up and inquired whom it belonged to.  I like to think my students are honest and hoped they would give me a straight answer – but as soon as I asked, three hands shot up and three voices in unison said, “It’s mine!”  ‘O really!? I looked each one in the eyes, looking for truth and asked each one again, yet they all remained firm at their claim.

I had no choice but to put the eraser on the teacher’s desk, no one would get it! – that’s fair I thought.  But, I kidda felt bad.  I know even the smallest thing can mean the world to these students, and cost them an extra 10 bs. they might not have.  And, before I could turn around I decided to test them…”Ok!” I said, “If it belongs to all of you, I will simply break it so everyone can have a piece.”

The two young boys grinned and laughed, “Yeah! Sounds good!”  But, the little lamb who was nestled in-between the two robbers, shouted, “Don’t! Its mine!”

“Aaaa Haaa!” I exclaimed, “Its hers!” Smiling I handed the eraser over to the little girl, who looked very relieved.  The two boys on the other hand, made faces at each other while laughing.

I think I heard King Soloman laugh at his wisdom yet again proven ageless – while the rest of the class kept asking me what was so funny! :)

“Cut the living child in two and give half to one and half to the other.’ The woman whose son was alive was filled with compassion for her son and said to the king, "Please, my lord, give her the living baby! Don't kill him!" But the other said, "Neither I nor you shall have him. Cut him in two!" Then the king gave his ruling: "Give the living baby to the first woman. Do not kill him; she is his mother." When all Israel heard the verdict the king had given, they held the king in awe, because they saw that he had wisdom from God to administer justice.” – 1 Kings 3:24-28

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:00 AM

    MyM!!! YOU ARE SO CUTE!!!!!!! I miss you!!!! I love that story!!!
    () ()
    (-.-)

    ReplyDelete